Kinsale in County Cork is one of the most picturesque destinations on the south west coast of Ireland. Located some 25km south of Cork City on the coast near the Old Head of Kinsale, it nestles between hills and the sea at the mouth of the River Bandon. Its harbour entrance guarded by the spectacular Charles Fort, dates back to 1677.
The towns rich and colourful history has seen Kinsale become a world tourist centre, acclaimed as a special Heritage Town as well as being famous for food, golf, angling and sailing. A visit to Kinsale can not be complete without taking in its historic sites such as:
- The Norman Saint Multose Church, built in the 13th century and still in use.
- Desmond Castle the ‘French Prison’, dating from the 16th century and now a wine museum.
- Charles Fort, a star-shaped fortress dating from 1677 offering guided tours.
- James Fort
- The Courthouse
- The Old Head of Kinsale, it was off here that the Lusitania was sunk in 1915 with a loss of over 1,500 lives.
Highly recommended daily historic walking tours are available and provide an insight into the extraordinary harbour fortifications and medieval walled town of Kinsale. Alternatively thrill seekers may be tempted by the town’s nightly Ghost Tour!
With the sea at Pier House’s doorstep, the yachting marina opposite provides a stunning backdrop to our accommodation. For the sailors, there is no shortage of annual events and July sees the towns host its annual regatta. Whilst a short drive allows visitors to explore the local beaches at Garrettstown where surfing is a must.
For landlubbers & foodies the town offers a vast array of restaurants, and holds an annual “Gourmet Festival”, one of it’s award winning restaurants is “Fishy Fishy” which Pier House is proud to call a neighbour. Lucky visitors to this exceptional restaurant may even get to meet Head Chef Martin Shanahan, star of RTE televisions “Mad about Fish” series. Whilst shoppers can enjoy the range of quirky shops, cafés and galleries amongst the town’s narrow streets.
During your stay, your hostess Ann is on hand to help you take in the various activities that this vibrant town has to offer from yachting, sea angling, Dolphin & Whale Watching Trips, to harbour cruises, surfing, golfing, or the more relaxing pursuits of fine dining, traditional music sessions, or simply enjoying the craic!
Kinsale Calendar of Events
A host of festivals and annual events take place in Kinsale in County Cork, from the world famous “Kinsale Gourmet Festival”, “Cork Jazz Festivals” & “Kinsale Arts Week” along with a host of Sporting and Sailing events. Kinsale offers its visitors many a reason to return again and again to this beautiful location.
- Heineken Kinsale “Sevens by the Sea”, Kinsale Rugby Club
- Kinsale Vintage Car Club Rally
- Sea Sunday Mission to Seafarers, St. Multose Church
- Kinsale Races – Point to Point; Farrangalway
- Kinsale Trad Festival
- Sovereigns Cup Regatta at Kinsale Yacht Club
- Kinsale Arts Week
- Kinsale Regatta at the Yacht Club
- Irish Open Dragon Championships, Yacht Club
- National Rowing Championships
- Kinsale Sharks Irish Advertising Awards Festival
- Bollinger Kinsale Gourmet Festival
- Kinsale Jazz Festival & Christmas Festival
Here are a few stunning shots of Kinsale Harbour